Trying new genres on for style

Anyone reading a post or two down will note that I have both a PS3 and Wii - why don't I just go the whole hog and purchase an Xbox360 to complete the triumvirate?

While I do keep getting tempted by the elite model (and my best man keeps clamouring me) I do already have access to one.

At work.

I'm not giving away where I work (here, at least) but there are times where we are 'on call' - where we have to be immediately available but don't to have to be actually doing anything.
While this used to mean that we spent the time reading, over the last couple of years, we've managed to snag a plasma screen and hook a digi-box to add TV.

Then a gamecube was going spare so it was donated.

It's possible we spent a little bit too much time on Mario Kart: Double Dash

Then work bought an Xbox360.

This was actually to provide entertainment for Joe Public during events involving audience but mostly hasn't been used.

We graciously said that we'd provide an ongoing system of regular performance checks ;-)

As it's in a staff room, the choice of games is generally limited to multi-player options and mostly to games that aren't offensive to people. Only a few of us tend to use it, but other members of staff use the room.

As we buy the games out of our own pocket (Dance Revolution is the 'public use' game) games also tend to be bought on the cheap.

So Forza, PES6, Sega Rally and Tiger Woods have been the main games of choice.
Which are great for the player but not so great to look at.

I'm a bit more of an arcade gamer so my choices have included Burnout: Revenge and Gears of War - games that are great fun to play (for me) and provide entertainment to other watchers - they always seem to like spectacular crashes and deaths, particularly when they are inflicted on me ...

It's possible in this staff room to tell whose been (or is) gaming by which game is currently loaded and, at the minute, the sports fans outnumber me while the non-gamers don't really care.

As we only have two controllers, that also limits the availability of local multi-player. And no internet connection means no online content of any kind.

It's been interesting playing the sort of games that I normally wouldn't purchase (Ice hockey is about the only sports games I've ever purchased) and I've managed to try a couple of PS3 that I also wouldn't normally buy.

Get ready for these - you may be surprised.

A colleague has recently purchased a 40Gb PS3 and brought it in to work for a few of the on-call days.

The first game I tried that I wouldn't have normally?

Grand Theft Auto IV

Yep, that's a hardcore gamer who has never played a GTA game on any format.

I'm not really certain why. I wasn't really interested in the first few GTAs, kinda missed the whole GTA3 thing and somehow Vice City and San Andreas just didn't appeal to me.

Maybe there weren't enough zombies ...

So now I've played a GTA, it seemed okay. The driving was good but not quite as responsive as a Burnout; the combat was good but not as involving as Gears of War.

It was obviously a good game but it just didn't light any fires for me.

The other game my colleague brought in was Guiter Hero 3

Now, rhythm games I generally don't go need. I have tried a few but never anything that required additional hardware. And while I'm loath to admit it, Guitar Hero was good fun, particularly taking it in turns with other players.

The worse thing is that every once in a while now, I'll be listening to something and start working out what the moves needed for the game version of the song

Gah!

I'm still doubting that I'll be buying Guitar Hero or Rockband but I can see the attraction there.

And talking of attraction, I finally managed to try out Smash Bros Brawl recently.

That game may just be the one to be the first purchase I make that's over £25 for a game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Games of 2017 - what I've actually played

Halo 3: more minus than plus?

Towers of synchronicity